Property Tax Exemption
Ohio Masonic lodge properties that are used primarily for administrative and fraternal purposes and that receive less than $36,000 annually in rental income are now eligible for exemption from property taxes.
This exemption must be applied for as it will not be awarded automatically. The Grand Lodge has established the following procedure for the owners of lodge property to apply for the exemption.
There are three basic steps to apply for the property tax exemption.
1. Complete the following:
- Form DTE 23 - Application for Real Estate Exemption. Click here for a electronic, fillable copy of this form. Click here for a guide to answer all the questions on the form.
- Provide a copy of the property owner's most recent 990 IRS long form or receipt for the 990 N electronic postcard.
- Provide copies of the last two year's of property tax bills.
- The property owner (the Lodge or Temple Company) should complete either a Lodge Financial Report (for a template click here) or a Temple Company Financial Report (for a template click here) as is appropriate.
- Provide copies of all lease/rental agreements if portions of the building are rented.
- Provide a basic floor plan of the building with an explanation of what is used for fraternal purposes verses what is used for rental income (commercial, residential, etc.)
- Provide copies of the "property record card" and deed from the County Auditor.
2. Mail or email copies of all the items listed above in Step 1 to the Grand Secretary's Office, 1 Masonic Drive, Springfield, Ohio 45504 - attention Chad Simpson, email@example.com, for review. Upon review of the documents, Chad Simpson will contact the applicant and provide copies of the necessary supporting documentation from the Grand Lodge.
3. Turn in the property owner's information from Step 1 and the Grand Lodge's supporting documentation from Step 2 to the County Auditory and Country Treasurer for processing by December 31, 2013. All tax year 2012 taxes and assessments payable in 2013 must be paid.
Please inform the Grand Secretary’s Office once the Lodge has received a response from the County. Brother Chad Simpson is prepared to assist with the process so feel free to contact him with any questions at 800-292-6092 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Assistance Training in WintersvilleOn December 11 -13, 2013, a Masonic Model Student Assistance core-team training will be hosted by the Indian Creek Local School District, 587 Bantam Ridge Road, Wintersville, Ohio 43953.
A core team consist of 5 to 8 members. The individuals making of the team vary from school to school, but range from a central office administrator, building administrator, one or more counselors, two or more teachers (regular or special education), a school nurse, school psychologist, in school suspension coordinator, drug & alcohol service provider and/or mental health service provider.
Retired educator and Freemason, William McGowan, email@example.com, is coordinating this training. For an informational letter, please CLICK HERE.
For a sample training agenda, please CLICK HERE.